Why Use Nasya Oil?
In Ayurveda, the nose is considered the direct route to the brain and also the doorway to consciousness. It is the entrance for prana, the life force, which is carried into the body through the breath. Healthy uncongested breathing is important to ensure proper flow of prana throughout the head and body, which has a reverberating effect on the health of the entire body-mind.
When an excess of bodily fluids accumulates in the sinus, throat, nose, or head areas, it is best eliminated through the nose. Nasya Oil can help facilitate the cleansing process, & is also traditionally said to improve quality of voice, strengthen vision, and promote mental clarity.
How to Do Nasya at Home
- Begin by comfortably lying down on your back and tilting your head back with your nostrils opening towards the sky. If you are lying on a bed, you may hang your head off the edge of the bed, or place a small pillow beneath your neck for support.
- Place 3–5 drops of Nasya Oil in each nostril. With skill, you can administer the oil, drop by drop, circling the inside perimeter of the nostril, thoroughly coating the nasal membranes.
- Take a big sniff in, then rest for a few minutes allowing the nasya to penetrate.
If lying down is not convenient, you can also apply nasya this way:
- Place a drop of Nasya Oil on the little finger and carefully insert it into the nostril.
- Gently massage the inner walls of the nasal passage.
- Alternate left and right nostrils until each nostril has received a total of three applications of oil.